Schedule 6 - capital gain on real estates

How do I complete the schedule 6 to record the capital gain on the (commercial) real estate property?

The total POD has been allocated according to subsection 13(21.1) between (depreciable) building and (non-depreciable) land components, which has elimimated the terminal loss on the building.

There will be neither a capital gain or loss nor a terminal loss or recapture on the building portilon as per above.
(I've shown this in the Schedule 8)
However, there is a capital gain on the land portion.

Should I list both the land and building portions on the schedule 6, showing the POD and ACB info for both to show the whole property or only show the land portion which triggered the capital gain?

I'm inclinded to show them both on the schedule.
I could override the (apparent) loss on the building to be zero to be correct, and claim the (entire) selling expenses on the capital gain on the land.

This way, the complete infomation is shown on the schedule.

Can anyone advise if this will acceptable?

First time user.

Answer

3 people found this helpful

As the moderator has pointed out, this may not be the correct place to ask your question because I think there are some issues as to how you are allocating the proceeds of disposition to the land and the building.  First, I think think you need to show the land and building separately on schedule 6.  What I'm not clear on is how the value of the land has increased, and therefore a capital gain, but the value of the building is being sold at exactly the undepreciated capital cost?   I would suggest that this might be a convenient way to change recaptured depreciation into a capital gain and if this is the case you could have a problem with Canada Revenue. That is just food for thought.
Was this answer helpful? Yes No
1 additional answer

No answers have been posted

More Actions

People come to ProFile for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
  2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
  3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
  4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
  5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.

Select a file to attach: