Can't create 2012 tax return

I've purchased and installed the new software updated all my information, but it doesn't give me any options to create a 2012 tax return.  Any ideas what I've done wrong?

Answer

Countryboy,

Here is what you need to do to access the ProFile 2012T1 module:

(A)  Need to check if ProFile version is 2012.3.1 by going to "Help/About" in ProFile.  If the version is earlier than 2012.3.1 then you must update ProFile to the latest version by going to "Online/Check for Updates" in ProFile.

(B)  After updating if you are still unable to access 2012 T1 module then you go to "Help/About" and click "Details".  Check if 2012 T1 module shows up in the detailed list.  Also, check by going to "File/New" to see if 2012 T1 option to create a new return is accessible.

(C)  You need to perform this step when (i) 2012T1 is not included in the details in "Help/About" and (ii) 2012 T1 module doesn't show up under"File/New":
1.  Close ProFile, and reduce any open windows down to your desktop.
2.  Right click on the ProFile icon, choose Properties and the Shortcut tab. Click on the radio button "Open File Location" (or "Find Target" if you're running Windows XP).
3.  In the window that opens (the ProFile installation directory), right- click on the program "ProReg.exe" and choose “Run as administrator” to start the Profile Module Registration Utility (double click in Windows XP).
4.  Click on the buttons "Clear all" and then "Register all"
5.  Scroll down in the window until you find "GPShell.dll". This is an optional feature which adds some icons to your file list (green check marks for those returns which have been completed, and so forth) with the trade-off of some reduced performance speed, and can be safely deactivated. Left click on the "X" to clear this.
6.  Close the program by clicking on the "X" in the right hand top corner.
7.  Restart ProFile.

Hope this helps.

Thank you.
Hardev
Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Original

No answers have been posted

More Actions

People come to ProFile for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
  2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
  3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
  4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
  5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.

Select a file to attach: