Client was a divorcee in 2017 and married a non resident in 2018. The non resident has 3 kids already. The non resident is still outside Canada.
- Client got separated in 2014 and finally got divorced in July 2017.
- Client visits a country outside Canada in Oct 2017 (for 2 months) and meets someone and decides to marry her (non resident).
- Client in Nov 2017 pays the would be spouse $6000 as a support payment
- Client finally before leaving that country marries her in Jan 2018.
- She has 3 kids from her previous marriage already.
- Client didn't pay any other support payments throughout 2018
- Her immigration is still under process, hopefully she will be here with her 3 kids from previous marriage by end of 2019.
Q1. Can we claim her as a dependent on my client and claim the spousal credit on my client's return?
Q2. The support payment made in 2017, before the client got married to her, can that be taken into account?
Q3. Can Client claim the kids of the non resident spouse as dependent?
Your response is much appreciated.