PROBLEM on T1 INFO when Marital Status changes to Separated

Dear Intuit...

2017 T1 Module - Marital Status and Schedule 5

1) Indicate your Marital Status on December 31, 2017

- checked off "separated"

2) If status changed in 2017, enter date of change

- entered 09-17

3) Were you married or living common-law at ANY TIME in this tax year

- entered YES  (when you go from married to separated, that's the answer)

Results noticed after filing (no overrides in file)

Schedule 5 - Box 5522 was UNCHECKED  this resulted in the CRA reassessing the Child Benefits / GST credit  etc... and say that the low income spouse with custody was over paid for October, November, and December (as they had properly submitted their change in marital status in the year)

Further...  the CRA stated that since this was not checked off, that the marital status change was December 31, 2017 - and that "THIS IS HOW IT WAS FILED"

Upon checking it off to REFILE - Profile gives me an override saying that it shouldn't be checked off.

FIX THIS!

Capture1.PNG
Capture2.PNG

Answer

1 person found this helpful

I agree that there is a problem with the functions in Profile when that data regarding the date of change is collected.  I had a client that went from divorced to separated and it would not let me efile. In my situation, I just removed the date and it did not impact the client. Your clients situation would be different. Definitely a problem.

Was this answer helpful? Yes No
1 additional answer

No answers have been posted

More Actions

People come to ProFile for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
  2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
  3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
  4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
  5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.

Select a file to attach: