How to process T1 adjustment (Profile)-to add T4slip - after return was e filed file? Thank you

Answer

3 people found this helpful

OK, O, this is how to file an adjustment. Justme and igccai both make valid points. CRA will eventually adjust a return to include a missed T4. However, if CRA adjusts a return, they will consider that a missed slip for penalty purposes. If you miss three slips in four years (I think that's right), the penalty is 10% of the income reported on that third slip. So, you really need to adjust the return to help avoid penalties which you may need to pay for the client as a matter of business ethics and standing behind your work.

In Profile, with the client's file open, go to AUDIT | SNAPSHOT or press ALT+F8. The SNAPSHOT window will open. Press NEW to open the TAKE SNAPSHOT window. You can rename your snapshot something that you will recognize, maybe like "Before new T4". Be sure that "Activate this Snapshot" is checked and press OK. Close the SNAPSHOT window. Enter the required changes in the return. Open the T1adj form. Right click anywhere on the form and choose ADJUST FROM (THE SNAPSHOT THAT YOU JUST CREATED). Your T1adj form will magically be completed. At this point you can enter a note and mail the adjustment request or enter the adjustment using Represent-A-Client. I recommend the latter.

You must have T1013 authorization from the client on file with CRA. If you don't have authorization, print the T1013 and have your client sign it. Then efile it. You will have instant authorization.

Go to the Represent-A-Client (RAC) page in the CRA website. Open the client's record. Choose CHANGE MY RETURN. Choose the tax year that you want to change and press GO. Find each data line that needs corrected and enter the new values. Do not try to enter the calculated values, as these fields will not appear. Verify the values of all data entry boxes that appear. When you have all of the changes entered, accept the changes and file them. I can't remember the exact wording, and I don't have an adjustment that I need to do, but it's quite straight forward. When you try to file the adjustment, you may get warnings and/or error messages. An ERROR message requires a change or an entry, even if the correct entry is "0" (zero). A warning is a box that may require a data entry, but you should verify them all anyway. When you have verified all the messages, you should be able to finally file the adjustment. You will get a confirmation page. Usually, this page will indicate the refund amount or amount payable. This number should be close to the amount of change indicated on the REFUND or AMOUNT PAYABLE lines of the T1adj that was calculated by Profile.

When you file an adjustment through Represent-A-Client, you will get a Notice of Reassessment (with refund in the client's account) OR a request for more information within 10 business days, which is much quicker than a paper-filed adjustment request. If CRA wants to see the slip or receipt, you can send them in through RAC as well.

If you have any trouble following any part of these instructions, let me know, and I'll try to help. I hope that this works for you. Best regards,

Was this answer helpful? Yes No
3 additional answers

No answers have been posted

More Actions

People come to ProFile for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
  2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
  3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
  4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
  5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.

Select a file to attach: