How to file T777 AND GST370 forms from Multiple Employers in tax year

I ran into this problem last year, submitted a report to Profile, but see no changes to the software this year.

Specifically, I have clients who change jobs during the year and receive T2200 forms from each employer authorizing claims for employment expenses AND filing the GST370 for the GST rebate on expenses paid from each employer.

Profile software only allows ONE T777 form and ONE GST370 form. Thus, all employment expenses are merged onto the one T777 form, and from there, merged onto the ONE GST370 form.  However, the GST370 is designed for ONLY one employer (identified in the heading and in their closing signature if required).  It's not fair that expenses from employer "y" are being reported on the GST370 form of employer "x" .

I reviewed other tax software last year to see how they deal with the issue and found other software that uses multiple T777 and multiple GST370.  

I also called CRA about it.  CRA advised that a unique T777 and GST370 form should be used for each employer.  CRA said that multiple GST370 forms (one for each employer) can be submitted AT THE TIME OF FILING THE RETURN.  The rule that only ONE GST370 form in the tax year is to stress that they want all forms to be submitted at ONE time, when you file your taxes, and won't accept receipt of other forms later in the year (ie:  do an adjustment to file GST370 on a 2nd or 3rd employer later in the year after the first form is submitted).  CRA advised that in my situation with multiple employers and a tax software that doesn't support multiple employers, that I should file a Paper return in order to separate the unique employers on the T777 and the GST370 forms.  

I have the same situation this year again and am hopeful a solution can be found soon, although it may not be soon enough, as I'll be ready to e-file this client's return next week.

I find it strange that Profile supports multiple T2125 forms but NOT multiple T777 forms!

Thanks for looking into this.  How have others been dealing with this issue?

Gerry  

Answer

Checked in to that situation and you're right, Intuit did NOT address it (yet). I hope they do though, because the CRA won't like it if someone is forced to file with paper, the CRA seems to be doing away with paper very nicely, no more paper cheques next year...

Was this answer helpful? Yes No

No answers have been posted

More Actions

People come to ProFile for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
  2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
  3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
  4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
  5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community