Where in ProFile on the Final Return of a deceased widower, do I claim his Willed donation of his principal residence to a registered charity and RRSP to family member?

In his will, the deceased left his principal residence to a charity and his RRSP to his son.

1. Re: his residence:   I want to make sure I put this right value in the correct spot on the Donations sheet and am not sure if it goes in the details section at the top or down further in the donations summary on the "Gifts of depreciable property" line or maybe somewhere else.

Added info: the FMV is $250,000, ACB is 120,000 and his Net income is $275,000.

2.  Re: his RRSP  to his son:  I entered his T4RSP slip for $125,000 in box 34 "Deemed Receipt on Death",  but am not sure where to enter this willed amount to his son to offset it.

I hope someone can guide me in the right direction.

Thanks!!

Answer

Please don't take offense, but based on your questions you are clearly out of your depth with this, and should really seek some help with this return from someone familiar. There may be advantages to doing a Rights and Things Return as well and there may or may not be a need for a future trust return.

There is no place on the final return to transfer the willed assets to anyone. The RRSP is taken into income due to the deemed disposition on death, then it will be distributed by the Estate, it is not part of the T1 at all.

There is also no Gain on a principal residence of the deceased so the ACB is not needed. There should be a receipt/letter issued for the property by the Charity. 

Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Original
PainFreeTaxes.ca , www.painfreetaxes.ca

No answers have been posted

More Actions

People come to ProFile for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
  2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
  3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
  4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
  5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.

Select a file to attach: