The tax preparer must have a valid authorization from the taxpayer to access the "Represent a Client" website. There are two ways to acquire this authorization:
- the taxpayer can access CRA's My Account service. Request that the taxpayer enter the Rep ID to authorize the Tax Preparer as an individual, a Group ID to authorize a group of representatives, or a business's Business Number (BN) to authorize all employees of a business
- request the permission of the taxpayer to file a "T1013 - Authorizing or Cancelling a Representative" form
Before the T1013 can be filed, the Tax Preparer must register a BN with the Represent a Client service.
Enter the Rep ID, Group ID or BN on the T1013 form:
Note: all information must match with what CRA has on file. The return does not have to be completed before transmitting the T1013.
1. Open or create a T1 return.
2. Navigate to the "File" menu and select the "Auto-fill my Return (AFR)" option.
ProFile opens the "CRA Data Import Tool":
3. Click the "Launch CRA Import Website" button; the CRA's "Tax information web service" launches in a separate browser window:
4. Click the "CRA login" button under "Option 2 - Using a CRA user ID and password".
The "CRA Login" window displays:
5. Sign in to the CRA site:
The "CRA Data Import" window lists the clients whose SINs can be entered into the CRA website:
6. Select the client:
7. Click the "Next" button to provide confirmation; the CRA system processes the request:
The CRA processing occurs simultaneously with the data import in ProFile; users will also see the processing screen for "CRA Data Import" working:
The "Successfully connected" message displays when the connection has been made between ProFile and CRA systems:
The ProFile "Data Import Worksheet" displays; the default display setting is the "basic" view:
8. Click the "+" icon next to each statement to reveal the "expanded" view of the information which displays more details:
9. Review data and forms to be imported; if correct, click the "Import Selected Data" button.
The import window displays a "Data Import Completed" message:
10. Click the "Close" button.
11. In ProFile, select the data to import by selecting individual boxes or clicking "Select All" for all the listed data types to be imported.
12. Click "Accept CRA Data" auto-fill data into the taxpayer's return.
Note: To review the data imported, click on the Data Import tab in ProFile's Auditor:
The imported data appears in purple within individual fields on the appropriate forms and slips.