If a preparer is an EFILE service provider, they can send TP1 amendments or adjustments online for tax year 2018 on behalf of clients.
Who make amendments or adjustments to TP1 returns?
Preparers can make amendments or adjustments if the following conditions apply:
- the preparer has have ProFile version 2018.4.0 or later (for tax year 2018)
- the initial return was filed online via TP1 Netfile
- the initial return was assessed by RQ
What tax years allow TP1 amendments or adjustments?
Amendments or adjustments for TP1 returns are supported for the 2018 tax year with the latest ProFile version (2018.4.0 or later).
Revise a TP1 return for amendments or adjustments
1. Open ProFile.
2. Open the TP1 return that was previously filed electronically and for which an RQ assessment has been received.
Note: ProFile recommends that preparers save the return as a new file, using the "Save As..." option from the "File" drop-down menu in the top toolbar.
3. Enter the new or revised information that mandates an amendment into the return. For example, if a client has received record or unexpected additional income.
4. Navigate to the “Info” form in the return.
5. Scroll down to the section “Provincial Information – Quebec”:
6. Select the “Yes” option for the question “Amended return?”:
7. Click the blue link named “PTF-1C”, the form TPF-1.C - Explanations Regarding an Amended Income Tax Return opens:
8. Complete any outstanding form fields and confirm the address and bank information presented is accurate.
9. Navigate to the blank bottom field and describe what has changed on the TP1 return and why. For example, if a client has received notice of unexpected additional income:
10. Select the option “TP1 Netfile this return…” from the “EFILE” drop-down menu in the top toolbar:
The amended or adjusted TP1 return transmits and a confirmation is provided.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is all information on the TP1 return transmitted following an amendment or adjustment?
A: No, only new or updated information is transmitted.
Q: Can I make amendments or adjustments for a return after the filing deadline has passed?
A: Yes, changes will be accepted by RQ after the filing deadline.
Q: How many times can I amend or adjust a TP1 return?
A: RQ accepts multiple amendment submissions for any single return that was originally transmitted via Netfile. However, the online system accepts only nine readjustments per tax year for each taxpayer, whether the taxpayer, preparer, or RQ initiates the adjustments.
If the limit is exceeded, users receive an automated response stating that the limit has been reached.
Q: Is it possible to get a summary for changes to a return that underwent an adjustment or amendment?
A: There is no summary feature available; it is recommended that preparers save a copy of the original return that was transmitted and also the amended return for future comparison.
Q: Can I do an amendment or adjustment on a paper return?
A: Yes, an amended return can be sent on paper.
Complete Form TPF-1.C.
Assign an “X” to the “IndAmend” field in form TPF-1.W: